Saturday, March 28, 2009

In the Dark

We participated in the Earth hour this evening, shutting off all the lights in the house for a little over 60 minutes. Ariana lit candles while TJ and I tried to make homemade glow stick-stuff from Mountain Dew, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide. Our little experiment didn't work, even though I watched the YouTube video again just before shutting off my computer. Ariana, being her usual helpful self, offered suggestions and even tried to make some in a cup. Nothing we tried worked. So, I'm going to look up some other ideas on how to make luminescence and we'll try those. TJ was a great sport about the whole thing and worried that I might be feeling bad because it hadn't worked.
After a bit of family chatting and very bad jokes, I decided to try a little isometric-like wrestling with him. Both Ariana and I gave him pointers on how to stand and brace against me, then we shoved at each other. For a pre-teen, the kid is strong! After he about strained my upper arm, I showed him how to do hand pushes, which is an isometric exercise. All three of us did some until TJ complained that his arms hurt. I told him we'll do more each day, which will be good for all of us. I want to build my arms and hands back up so I can give Ariana more and better massages. It's part of my over-all improvement program.

No comments: