Saturday, November 25, 2006

Dionysia


aka Little World

The idea for a planet-ship is not new. Several science fiction authors have used the concept to their own ends. Star Trek has even gone so far as to postulate a Dyson Sphere, which is an entire solar system enclosed in a ship-like space.
I like Star Trek. The technology is plausible, as well as interesting.
I've gotten many of my ideas from the Star Trek universe, right down to the non-invasive hypo-spray. This little wonder allows the transfer of chemicals into a person's system almost without their knowledge. Consider those possibilities!

I digress. I was telling you about Dionysia.
The ship, as the picture above shows, is 800km (497 miles) long,
400km (249 miles) across at the top/front, and
300km (187 miles) across at the bottom/back.
The ship is cylindrical, and looks like a shotglass on accident.
There's a lot of room in this thing!
The main planetary decks are worlds unto themselves. There are fifteen (15) of them, named as follows from top to bottom:

Island Nations
Pern
Amazonia
You Name It
Atlantis/Roman
Metalworld
Plateau City <-- this was the first ever
designed part of Dionysia, and is actually a part of -->
Hedonia
Wonderland - a rather adult version
City/Nile/River
Olympus/Primitive
DragonLance
Forgotten Realms
UnderDark
UnderDarkSea

The planet decks are connected together in two ways. One is the Great River, which spirals up the inside of the cylinder from UnderDarkSea to the Island Nations.
The other is the Turbo-Elevator to Hell, a high-speed elevator that connects the Bridge (that bump on the top) to Engineering (at the very bottom).

There's much more to Dionysia than what I've written here. Perhaps, over time, I will tell you more about each world deck, or, what the ship runs on, or….

No comments: