It has been a long-time dream of mine to build and live in a castle. I have a paper model of the castle I want. It came from a Dragon magazine, circa 1984. My version has modern updates, like indoor plumbing, electric lights, a thoroughly modern kitchen, and an elevator. For the most part, though, it still looks like a castle. The walls are 10 feet thick, and there are secret passages throughout. While the rooms are no where near as drafty, there are fireplaces and tapestries.
There's even a working dungeon.
The idea of the castle is not a hotel or a resort. It is part of a working community. There is a medieval-era village nearby, but instead of wattle and daub, we'll use haybales and stucco. Other aberations to period lifestyle are the windplants to power the community. A period windmill will be built to grind corn and wheat, with the secondary use of power production when the grindstones aren't in use.
At the moment, the organizational structure is probably going to be educational non-profit. With all the cross technologies and inventive minds we will attract, you can bet some very interesting things will be coming out of the workshops and smithies.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I share in your enthusiasm for living in a modern-medieval castle. Since I was young I have relished in the thought. Thank you for your post. -jt
Post a Comment